Five Things About... Dessert Can Save the World by Christina Tosi



First of all, I’m a huge fan of Milk Bar and Tosi. I love the food (ahem, looking at you, cornflake chocolate chip marshmallow) and I love her energy. So yeah, parts of the book may seem cheesy if you haven’t drunk her Kool Aid , but I’m fully indoctrinated. The world needs more of her optimism, problem-solving, and kindness. 

She talks about her grandma’s advice to “go sew” when things get rough. You don’t have to actually pick up a needle and thread, but instead find something productive and distracting to do so that you can refocus and return the challenge restored. This is why my house is much cleaner when I’m stressed. 


There’s a whole section dedicated to making care packages for people- who doesn’t love getting unexpected packages of thoughtful little gifts? I want to be the type of person who does this sort of thing more often. It doesn’t even have to be expensive- $15 worth of fun little gizmos can definitely brighten someone’s day. It really is the thought that counts.


The section on bottlenecks can be applicable to anyone’s life. For her it had to do with issues with cookie  production, but for me, grading papers, someone else efficiency in generating data reports (I just made that up… data reports… ew). What is causing the delay in productivity? How can it be fixed? What is a new way of doing things that can lead to greater efficiency?


My absolute favorite line comes from the beginning when Tosi astutely remarks, “Meatloaf and mashed potatoes can comfort our souls, but cinnamon rolls with cream cheese frosting mainline healing and love straight into our hearts” (xi).

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS