Bookish (and not so Bookish) Thoughts

1. At ten'o'clock this morning I handed the school secretary my keys and checked out of the 2012-2013 school year. I then started my summer vacation with a noon "yogalates" class and frozen yogurt. After posting this I plan on laying in the backyard with a book in the shade. It's been a really tough day, guys. 

[9 weeks of freedom]

2. I really, really hate Home Depot, but every time I go in I'm a little amazed that you could literally build a house with all of the materials in the store. 

3. I watched Cloud Atlas last weekend with my husband. It was horrible. I really don't understand why David Mitchell was so enthusiastic about the movie- I understand that the Wachowski siblings are a big deal, but so what? 

4. Speaking of books as movies, we're going to see Joss Whedon's Much Ado About Nothing in LA this weekend- hopefully it's not as horrible as The Great Gatsby and Cloud Atlas. I feel like I should read the play really fast, but we'll see.


5. While driving around town I frequently look at places and wonder if they're actually places where people sell drugs or launder money. Examples: yard sales, massage parlors, those stores where people fill up their water jugs, and auto parts carriers. I've obviously watched too many Weeds and Breaking Bad episodes.

6. Is it demeaning to say old people are cute? I saw this eighty-ish year old man in the grocery store the other day wearing a pair of bright new board shorts with flip flops buying things for a barbeque and I instantly thought, "how cute!" And then I felt a little bad. If the guy had been thirty I wouldn't have have given it another thought.


7. I think would enjoy being on a show like Chopped or doing one of those Quickfire Challenges from Top Chef (do they still do those? Is the show even on anymore?). I should probably practice at home and use up all the half-used ingredients I have in my pantry...

8. I'm trying to get my husband to start a Ulysses book club with me. So far I haven't had much luck, but I'm not giving up hope.

9. This dress from Banana Republic arrived today: 


I know it's tacky to be all like "oooohh, look at me, look at my new things, yay for me and my credit card," but this dress is special. I tore the picture out of an In Style way over two months ago and waited not-so-patiently for it to be released on May 30. And now it is mine. All mine.

10. Sometimes when I get stuck behind one of those big auto carriers on the freeway I start envisioning them all coming loose and smashing into me and my car. Luckily, in all of these scenarios I end up alive and really rich because the truck company has to pay me a shit-ton of money. 

5 comments:

  1. Yay, happy Summer! Ice cold winter here. Hope you have a good rest.
    I watched Cloud Atlas before reading the book and it completely befuddled me. Apart from the graphics or whatever, it really isn't a good movie (although I did enjoy making my analytical boyfriend watch it and seeing him mull over the confusion).
    As for old people... I don't know if it's rude but I definitely feel the same. I've met so many adorable old people on ward rounds recently. And really WISE people too. Geriatrics might be a specialty I'll seriously consider.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if it's demeaning but I have a huge love for elderly men. Every time I see an old guy I want to bring him home and cook him dinner, lol.

    Cute dress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watched Cloud Atlas on a plane. (It was there so I figured "why not?") It was...weird. If the book doesn't suck, I'd love to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like that dress you ordered! It's very pretty and I love the colors. :) Congrats for summer! I'm a new GFC follower-I love your blog. :)

    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw Cloud Atlas recently too...I did not like it.

    ReplyDelete

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS