Bookish (and not so Bookish) Thoughts

1. Finally, Live Talks put up the Marisha Pessl tickets for September 19th. I was also pleasantly surprised to see that Jaime Lee Curtis is going to be interviewing her; a bit random, perhaps, but I think she's a very articulate, enthusiastic woman so I'm sure it will be a good time.

2. Do you remember the Arthur children's book series? During lunch today I actively tried to engage my husband in a texting debate about how Arthur's supposedly an anteater but doesn't look like one, but he kept shutting me down.

[exhibit A]

3. Next time I'm invited to a baby shower (and actually go) I'm so getting the mom-to-be this book:

[Placenta burgers, anyone? Ha!]

4. I've had "All Night Long" by Lionel Ritchie stuck in my head all week. It got to the point where it was so bad Tuesday I downloaded it, thinking listening to the actual version might do the trick. Nope. In fact now my brain expects to hear Lionel as we pull away from the house in the morning. At least it's not "Hello."


5. I feel like I need to go to REI. I've built it up so much inside my head I'm expecting this massive mecca of all things sports and outdoors. I'm hoping I'll walk in and simply absorb all this wonderful knowledge, not limited to learning how to change the tires on my bike, how to filter water MacGyver style, and how to get my CamelPak dried out faster. 

6. This weekend is my favorite half marathon at my least favorite place- the Disneyland Half. I've run it twice and by far it's the most organized, entertaining of the ten or twelve different courses I've run (and the most expensive). It almost makes me miss running. Good luck to the few friends I have running it! 

7. I'm not much a gamer, but several years ago I got hooked on the Katamari Damacy game- basically you run around with a big ball rolling shit up. I saw someone wearing one of their shirts on something my husband was watching last night and now I'm completely compelled to start playing again.


8. We have tentative plans this weekend to drive out (finally) to The Last Bookstore in LA, which will ultimately mean more book-buying is in my future. I'm down to 47 unread, now, so I think I deserve a reward.

[source]
9. I read the Slate (I know, I know) article entitled "If You Send Your Kid to Private School, You Are a Bad Person" today and thought it was fascinating. Basically, the article says that by enrolling your child in a private school you are in fact propagating the demise of the public school system. People with resources and education should be involved in public schools, pushing them to improve. And, as the article points out, the kids will be fine, given that people who can afford to send their kids to private have the resources to give them a meaningful experiences and individualized attention at home. Personally, I don't think you're a bad person if you send your kid to a private- I can see the appeal for those that are religious, have a child with special circumstances, or are afraid of poor people. We won't send our future offspring to private simply because we will already be paying for their schooling- through our tax dollars.

10. Speaking of articles, I read about the lady who had sex every day for a year and immediately sent it to my husband. Not because I want to necessarily institute the same project in our household, but because she said that getting goosebumps makes her leg hair grow faster, which is something I've been saying for years and no one believes me about. I felt so vindicated. But, then again, I also believe that shaving your legs everyday is just as important as flossing. 


8 comments:

  1. I thought Arthur was an aardvark, but if you look at older pictures of Arthur he does look like an anteater.

    I agree with you on the goosebumps makes your leg hair grow faster. Wow the things you are making me think about in this post! haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and I would love to see the facial expression on the person you give that placenta book to at their baby shower. EEEEWWWWW!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Placenta cookbook, OH EWWWW. Why is that book a thing that exists???

    That Slate article sounds interesting, and it's not all wrong. And being afraid of poor people is a TERRIBLE reason to send kids to private schools! I mean I can totally see rich snobby parents doing that, but they should be ashamed if that's their reasoning.

    Only 47 unread books??? Oh man, you have me beat by about 400, lol. Enjoy your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Arthur is an anteater?! I thought he was a moooouse... thing... creature... something.

    Also, yes for goosebumps making your leg hair grow. I am sure of it. But not medically sure, just anecdotally. But I prefer three-weekly waxing to daily shaving.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's totally true about the leg hair thing. I'm sure it. I'm sure you want to know this, but my husband and I instituted something similar in our house (I had some similar hang-ups post baby). It helped. I'm glad she wrote that article, because I never could.

    And I also assumed Arthur was an aardvark, but I'm not sure how much thought I exactly put into that assumption.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely took some serious balls to not only write it but then do all the media events she's done. I'm constantly torn between "it's just sex! It's natural" and "what happens in the bedroom stays in the bedroom." But practice does make perfect...

      Delete
  6. Yes, bookish and not-so-bookish. Thanks for sharing. Thanks for sharing both.

    ReplyDelete

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS