Bookish (and not so Bookish) Thoughts

1. As I look around at all my seniors and read their personal statements for college applications I've started really rethinking how things work. These seventeen and eighteen-year-olds are essentially deciding the rest of their lives. Many of them can't get to school on time or fill out a form on their own and we're asking them to make some really huge decisions that will impact their futures. On the other hand, thought, I am a fan of Darwin- survival of the fittest!

2. I want to go to Trois Mec restaurant in LA so much. I think it's awesome they have a fake front and the food is supposed to be amazing (a little pricy though, though, of course). Also on the restaurant note, I'm really excited that my girl-crush Giada is opening her first restaurant in Vegas next year. Like I told my husband, it's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when.

[false front; source]

3. I miss playing softball. I miss camaraderie and owning a glove.

4. Live Talks LA is seriously disappointing me- supposedly tickets to the Marisha Pessl reading were to go on sale yesterday, yet still nothing is up. 

5. The last three books I added to my wish list: What I Had Before I Had You by Sarah Cornwell, The Berlin Wall: A World Divided by Frederick Taylor, and All the Buildings in New York That I've Drawn So Far by James Gulliver.


6. I've rekindled my love for pierogois. We used to eat them all the time growing up, for whatever reason, but then I forgot about them for years. I bought a box last week and can't wait to start using them more when the weather cools down a bit.

[source]

7. I'm going to the Hollywood Bowl for the first time to see Kristin Chenoweth with a friend, and some other people, this weekend. Apparently we somehow snagged some super cheap, super great tickets, which makes the night even more exciting.

8. I'm starting a current events assignment with my AP Language students on Edward Snowden and that whole debacle and it's really interesting to hear what they have to say on it. Most of them were completely unaware in the first place, but I've heard everything from "it's not a big deal" to "he should rot in prison." I plan to present articles from both sides culminating in a short essay, so it will be interesting to see if their opinions change.

9. My husband introduced my to society6 the other day, which has tons of awesome t-shirts, prints, phone cases, etc...  Talk about a time suck! There are so may great products though, and I love the fact that they support artists.


10. I've listened to two of Alton Brown's new podcasts and I see some potential. The one I finished on the drive home today was with Bobby Flay, who is huge in to horse racing, as it turns out. The podcasts are still a little rough around the edges, but I've only listened to two, so I'm sure they get some of the kinks worked out. 

1 comment:

  1. I love Kristin Chenoweth! She is so tiny and talented. I listen to her all the time on my IPOD. Take a blanket and some wine. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS