Top Ten Tuesday- New York, New York



This week The Broke and the Bookish ask us to list our top ten from a particular setting- I'm going with New York. I've only been once, a few years ago, but really loved it. I went during the late winter with my mother-in-law and we crammed an impressive amount of things to do in our three or four days there; I'd like to go back during the spring and take my time, going to some of the less-touristy places. Whether you love it or hate it, New York City really is a character in and of itself.

1. Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann

2. Underworld by Don DeLillo

3. The Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger

4. The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon

5. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

6. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer

7. Night Film by Marisha Pessl

8.  The Russian Debutante's Handbook by Gary Shteyngart

9.  A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan

10. Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt

I'm absolutely missing some great ones- suggestions? Where's your list set? 

10 comments:

  1. $ and 10 immediately came to mind. I have Underworld sitting on my shelf waiting to be read. Being from Boston (just north of the city, specifically), I always fantasized about moving to NYC. I've been there a few times now, but don't think I could ever live there. The best time of the year to go is just after Christmas when everyone throws out their trees. It's one of the rare times the city smalls nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did you find Shteyngart's The Russian Debutante's Handbook? I remember considering it a few years ago but then never picked it up.

    Great list! I haven't been to NYC in ages but I agree, it certainly is a character of its own :) (I'm trying to think of the most recent book I read that's set in the city...and I can't think of one *ponders further*)

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading and writing about Manhattan! There are so many awesome books set in the city. I particularly love to read and write about New York during the time when it was actually affordable for normal people!

    Sydney Taylor's All of a Kind Family series is set in New York City in the early 20th century, as are a number of other novels and memoirs about immigrant families. There's also Nancy Garden's classic Annie on My Mind, which is set in both Brooklyn and Manhattan. And, of course, the classic A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was soooooo close to picking NYC as my place this week! You've got lots that I would have had on my list, although I would have also included The Other Typist by Suzanne Rindell and The Privileges by Jonathan Dee. I also really liked The Submission by Amy Waldman.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love Bared to you by Sylvia Day :) It's set in New York as well :) :) And ofcourse The mortal instruments! :) :) <3 Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The only one I've read is The Great Gatsby, but if all those other books are set in beautiful NYC, I'm there! I've gone three times, and each time makes it harder for me to come home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I can't believe I haven't read any of these books yet! I should really widen my horizons :)
    Top Ten Tuesday
    Giveaways: Paperback of The GAP Club & 5 signed YA books

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you like YA, David Levithan and Rachel Cohn's "Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist" and "Dash and Lily's Book of Dares" are two of my favorite books set in New York.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so excited to see Tell the Wolves I'm Home on your list. It's one of my favorites, and I wouldn't complete a NYC list without it :)

    New GFC follower

    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  10. YES, so many great books on this list! <3 it :)

    Here's my TTT

    Stop by my giveaway if you have a moment!

    Jess @ Such A Novel Idea

    ReplyDelete

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS