Five Things About... The Pull of the Stars

 I have always been opposed to doing book-by-book reviews, but I'm a bit burnt out on the lengthy monthly posts, so I'm going to try something a bit different for a bit and see if I like it! I also posting the same reviews on Instagram under @bookishlyboisterous 




Pull of the Stars by Emma Donoghue 

1. The book is set during the Great Influenza, which was both unsettling given current circumstances, but also made me feel so grateful for how far we’ve come in medicine (GET. YOUR. VACCINE.)

2. The book is set in a Labor/Delivery Ward for infected mothers, which was fascinating and a bit heartbreaking. 

3. Politics and religion lurk in the background, but are never the main focus.

4. The power and ability of women is a major thematic concept- I’m here for it!

5. The main character, Julia, is admirable from start to finish- I don’t want to give anything away, but I really enjoyed watching her develop. 

All in all, this was a solid read. The writing itself was solid but nothing necessarily unique or innovative, but I thought the story kept me quite invested. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS