Recent Acquisitions

I know I can at least partially justify adding some books to our collections by saying they are from gift cards, but we all know that's just to make myself feel better. As far as I'm concerned Sawyer needs as many books as possible if he's going to get into Harvard (kidding, kidding), but my own physical TBR stack is pretty tall. Nonetheless, we got some books.


Searching for Whitopia by Rich Benjamin- My AP students watched a TED Talk that Benjamin did, which was based on his book about visiting the three "whitest cities in America" and I was intrigued by his journey and enjoyed his wit.

The Opposite of Loneliness by Marina Keegan- I had heard about this book somewhere (where?) and then saw someone mention it on a LA Times Festival of Books Facebook "what are you reading?" post. I am actually reading this right now and am both saddened and intrigued by Keegan's story (she was a young Yale student that was killed in a car accident right before graduation; her professors predicted she had what it took to be a great writer). She embraces her youth in her writing, but is also obviously brimming over with potential (at least so far). 

Random Family by Adrian Nicole LeBlanc- A friend at work suggested this and even said that she read it twice she liked it so much. I don't know a lot about it, but I trust her judgement and the premise of following a family for so long is interesting to me. 

Inside the O'Briens by Lisa Genova- I know nothing about this one except that I read and enjoyed What Alice Forgot and that it's the virtual book club selection next month at A Slice of Brie (order it and read along! Online book clubs are such a great option for busy folks). 

The Woman Upstairs by Clare Messud- I have been on the fence about this one for awhile, but Andi sold me. Plus, it's always interesting to read about someone in the same profession as you. 

We Should All by Feminists by Chimamanda Ngozi Adiche- Because we should be. 


The Adventures of Beekle the Unimaginary Friend by Dan Satat- I love, love, love this book. The illustrations are beautiful and the story is sweet. Given my own imaginary friend when I was little, stories about these childhood renderings hold a special place in my heart. Sawyer is also a fan... I've read it five or six times this week (the same goes for the next two... we read at meal times when my husband isn't at home, so with it being spring break we've had ample opportunities). 

Clifford's Puppy Days by Norman Bridwell- I keep meaning to grab some more Clifford books, since they're quick and easy reads. 

Just Going to the Dentist by Mercer Mayer- We also love Little Critter books and don't have many, plus Sawyer is going to go the dentist this summer and I'm trying to put in plugs for him/her now (can't wait for that shit show to go down).

Firetruck book- Honestly, I can't find a real title or author on this stupid thing. I actually really hate these books with wheels, but he loves them and I like to promote some autonomy in the book-selection process (these are all from a gift card her got from his grandma for Easter at Barnes and Noble), and this is the one he picked out. He's going through his firetruck phase right now, naturally.

What have you bought recently? Having self-control issues like me? 

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad your joining us for book club! I will keep my eye out for the Beekle book - it sounds really sweet. Sully is huge into airplanes, train and busses right now. Hello, Airplane is a really nice picture book that he loves and even reads it to himself. Personally, I actually haven't bought any books for myself lately! Must remedy that soon. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We Should All Be Feminists is great -- and I love The Adventures of Beekle, too. I've been on a Caldecott kick lately when picking books to borrow from the library to read to my little guy and this one did not disappoint!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to try the online book club too...I had actually checked the book out from the library a few weeks ago, it sat on my nightstand, never got to read it and had to return it. Ugh. Hoping this time I'll read it!!

    Also, Dan Santat - funny dude. He came to the Children's Reading Festival here last year. I love Beekle! Crankenstein is another favorite!

    ReplyDelete

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS