Bookish (and not so Bookish) Thoughts

Link up, link back, say hi! Gotta make it quick today! 

1. Tonight I will be attending our annual IB Celebration at the school where I teach, in order to recognize you students and jump into testing season. It really is bittersweet as a senior teacher. This marks the beginning of The End, and while I am ridiculously excited about summer break and proud of their success, I have grown very attached to some of my students and find it a little hard to accept that soon they won't be "my" kids anymore. But, we still have a few weeks so let's not get ahead of ourselves.

2. I was browsing iTunes for new music and checked out the Strumbellas' new album on a whim (basically because I thought their name was strange) and am really enjoying it. 

3. I rarely ever get seriously angry, but getting a text from my husband yesterday morning with our backyard fence knocked over pissed me off beyond belief. Yeah, I'm mad about having to spend the money, but the truth in the matter is that I don't want to have to take care of something else. I don't want to deal with finding a reputable contractor or company to fix it or going back-and-forth between the neighbors. I don't want to have to worry about the liability that comes with an exposed fence and a pool. And I don't want to have to schedule my life around people coming out the house to complete the project. I know this is a part of home ownership and that I'm lucky to have a home, but seriously, I don't have time for this shit right now. Couldn't the wind wait a few more weeks until I'm off?



4. Amusing: people are SO mad at Target because HOW DARE they consider people that are DIFFERENT in their store policies and yet their stock dropped for about five minutes and has gone back to normal levels. Moral of the story- investors don't think there are legitimate financial threats. 

5. I have asthma and it's been acting up big-time lately. Last fall I had problems with it and the doc at urgent care kindly told me that it was probably due to the fact that I needed to get my shit together (well, maybe not quite those words). I don't manage my asthma or allergies well, nor do I my levels of stress (well, I manage them outwardly, but on the inside I'm always two steps away from losing it). Anyway, I think I'm back there again, and probably need to have the pulmonary function test that he recommended done. Sure. Maybe the fence contractor can meet me at my PCP's office and we can talk about my lungs, the fence, grade papers together, and watch my kid.

6. I just finished Claire Messud's The Woman Upstairs today and need to pick something else out. I try just sort of go with my mood and expected levels of free time when I choose something, but I'm at standstill right now. Maybe the fact that I'm at an all-time of over 70 unread books on my shelves right now that makes the process a little overwhelming. 


6 comments:

  1. Completely odd question but do pools not have to be separately fenced in the US? In Australia you have to have your property fenced PLUS another fence around your pool with a child-proof gate (or if you have an indoor pool it has to have self-closing doors with latches above head-height). I worked as a life guard and swimming coach for many years so have always been aware of water safety but when I became a parent, water safety was 'my thing' (I think every parent has one or two things that they worry excessively about eg. my friend who is an OT freaks out when her kids are on trampolines, whereas I'm "Whatever" about trampolines but freaking out about un-gated bathrooms, fish ponds, pools etc)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finding random new great music is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, the fence thing is shit that it happened! Hope you fix it soon and that it won't cause you too much trouble! :/

    ReplyDelete
  4. We were having a staff meeting (only four of us in the library dept) the other day and were told to pick a word that described us. I used understated (with stoic as a back up) because I rarely get really mad. It's take a long time to get me there. And then I do and I just totally lose my shit, internally. I currently feel the way you feel about your fence about tree trimmers/tree removal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Argh, sorry to hear about your fence! I'm sure it's extremely frustrating. I remember a few years ago our fence went down and my mum had a very difficult time getting our neighbour to split the cost. He was a total recluse and we think probably an alcoholic so he would never answer the door. Technically the fence was his so it should have been him who covered the full cost but after a week of him still not doing anything to fix the problem my mum thought it would be less hassle to suggest halving it. I hope you'll get the fence thing sorted soon if it hasn't been done already!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh, sucks about your fence! I hate when shit like that happens to - it's not that I'm ungrateful for the things we have and owning a home, but sometimes you just don't want to deal with a problem. I totally get that.

    ReplyDelete

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS