Top Ten Tuesday- Book Club



The Broke and Bookish asks us for ten books we'd read with out book club (mine is comprised of English teachers from work, mostly female. We've tried to expand, but for some reason we've had trouble recruiting, even from inside our department. I don't get it, but anyway...). Some I've read, some not:

1. Not That Kind of Girl by Lena Dunham- I haven't read it, but own it, and think the controversy would make for good conversation. Sorry, guys in the group. Next pick can involve sports.

2. The Smartest Kids in the World and How They Got There by Amanda Ripley- I don't generally read education books, but I thought this one was fascinating when I read it last year. Plus, I can pretend to be all professional and crap.

3. Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozie Adichie- I remember dying to discuss this with someone after I read it. The writing is so rich.

4. Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann- As one of my favorite books, I'd like to share the wealth.

5. The Circle by Dave Eggars- This book about a fictional Google-like company seems like it could totally be real eventually. How would that make you feel? Discuss. 

6. Tortilla Curtain by TC Boyle- Another controversial one. Let's politely fight, guys, while we enjoy our salads and Diet Coke.

7. Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel- I'm reading this right now- doesn't everyone want to talk about what they're currently reading?

8. Diary of a Bad Year by JM Coetzee- I really disliked this book. Is it just me?

9. The World According to Garp by John Irving- Let's do some deep character analysis.

10. A recent classic that most of us have missed (maybe American Pastoral?)- We're English teachers, people. This is pathetic.   

9 comments:

  1. I have heard so much about Not That Kind of Girl recently. I'm very intrigued! My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not hear of most of these but it sounds like a Great List Check out my Top Ten Tuesday! http://bookbabble.weebly.com/blog/top-ten-tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it bad that I haven't read any of these... I do have a copy of The World According to Garp so maybe I'll read that soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I suggested Station Eleven to my book club and most everyone loved it!
    New follower :)
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've given up suggesting books for my Mum's book club. I suggested The War of Don Emmanuel's Nether Parts because it's really good and has lots to discuss. They didn't like it. It was too 'rude' apparently

    ReplyDelete
  6. cheap ray ban sunglasses australia Late cheap ray ban wayfarer sunglasses at night, but it is more hustle and bustle of the city. Feasting, people yell rare, but the heart cheap ray ban sunglasses australia was ray ban sunglasses sale australia empty, as if the house were evacuated. cheap took her hand, she did not broke away, the first time the boys hand, forget modesty, I just feel that can be cheap in hand, even if only this evening, cheap ray ban sunglasses australia also satisfied. cheap cheap ray ban sunglasses australia walked slowly pulled the .

    ReplyDelete
  7. I noticed a excellent stability, especially at the front, cheap ted baker dresses allowing to attack downhill with confidence even when the ground is brittle. Just a little regret about the ted baker outlet rockfall could have been a little more protection on the sides. The shoe is hot and relatively impermeable although ted baker dresses sale not with Gore Tex membrane.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I noticed a excellent stability, especially at the front, cheap ted baker dresses allowing to attack downhill with confidence even when the ground is brittle. Just a little regret about the ted baker outlet rockfall could have been a little more protection on the sides. The shoe is hot and relatively impermeable although ted baker dresses sale not with Gore Tex membrane.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great list! Many of these books are on my wish-to-read pile (and yay! I did indeed start reading Station Eleven yesterday xD) :)

    ReplyDelete

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS