Bookish (and not so Bookish) Thoughts

Welcome! Link up below (and link back, if you remember)! For those that are new, this feature allows me to share whatever random shit I want to (like I need an actual reason). The Mr. Widget thingy on the bottom allows you to do the same. 

1. Monday was the first day I've spent home with Sawyer all day long in a really long time (my husband just started working out of an office again). Lesson learned: I could never be a stay-at-home mom. I need adults (teenagers are close enough), a reason to get dressed up, and mental challenges. Not to say I don't love spending time with him- he's a delightful little creature. But full time, all day, every day? I'm just not cut out for it. In a perfect world I'd work from 8-12 every day... and still earn the same amount of money.



2. I hate that Wal-Mart has such a bad reputation and there's so much shaming that goes along with people that go there. I'm a Target girl, but I get it- Wal-Mart is cheaper. Basically, by making fun of Wal-Mart and it's shoppers you're encouraging this sort of class-struggle, stereotyping "thing" we have in America.

3. Speaking of people that talk shit about others, I had trouble holding my tongue a few times on MLK Day- so you post statuses that are borderline racist every other day and then get in on the "ohmygod peace and love and equality" message for one day? You probably publicly talk crap about your husband and then post effing sonnets for him on Valentine's Day.

4. Why did I think installing the Modcloth app on my phone was a good idea? On what planet was that a logical decision?

5. Sawyer and I went on a walk in his wagon, instead of the stroller, the other day and he noticed the small hole (that's supposed to be there). He spent the entire time bent over watching the ground go by as we walked. As soon as I stopped he'd pop back up. It was super cute. I tried to get him to stop, but eventually I figured it didn't really matter. Pick your battles and whatnot.



6. Yesterday at our staff meeting the superintendent spoke for an hour. He likes to call on "non-volunteers" and chose me, "a quiet teacher" (the whole staff laughed) to tell everyone "what was on my mind" (they laughed again!). Ten extra credit points for lying and saying something professional.

7. Confession: I'm considering hiring a house cleaner to come every six or eight weeks to clean the really annoying things that I don't want to (baseboards, windowsills, etc...). I can't get myself to make the call, though, since it feels incredibly douchey. Pay money for something I've always done and can continue to do? I wasn't brought up that way. But, now that my husband is back to work in the office and it's just Sawyer and I until 7:30 at night, I'm trying to figure out how to make things work, along with work. And this might be a solution. But still, so douchey.

8. I've been uncharacteristically hard on myself the last week or two. Like ridiculously so. I hold myself to medium-high standards normally, but man are my expectations to get ALL THE THINGS done lately a bit much. My theory? Something particularly stressful in my life was resolved recently and I'm transferring my negative energy elsewhere. Wait, what? "Negative energy?" You can take the girl out of the yoga studio, but you can't take the yoga studio out of the girl...

9. I started Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel the other day and am really liking it so far. I've decided to probably just burn through my birthday/Christmas books. #YOLO*

10. We're reading Barbara's Kingsolver's Flight Behavior for book club next. Has anyone read it? 

BONUS: If you play Trivia Crack add me- Christine0910

*Please note that the hashtag and stupid-as-eff term "YOLO" are being used ironically here. Thanks. 

11 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you about the stay at home mom thing. I was home all day with my daughter on Friday and Monday and I thought I was going to lose my mind. I love her to death but I'm not cut out to stay at home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get the cleaning person. I wasn't raised that way either but it is totally worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree w/Heather - get the cleaning person...gives you more time with Sawyer and other good stuff. I would love a 4hr workday as well...heaven. I'm glad to hear you are liking Station 11 - I'm planning to read it next. Also, just started a Trivia Crack game w/you - love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you are able to afford someone to help around the house I say do it. Yes, it's something you could be doing yourself, but as others have mentioned you would be spending more time with the little one AND you would be employing someone who may need the money more than you do. I love your posts and am so glad I found your blog.

    Don't hate me, but I essentially have a four hour work day but get paid for eight. I'm not allowed to wear yoga pants though :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried the stay-at-home thing for a couple of years, back in the day, and never went there again...except with my fourth child, I did spend eighteen months off work. And ran a day care. I was very happy to get back into the adult world.

    As for housekeepers...I would have loved that! I only ever had one, occasionally, when my house was on the market a few years ago. The house was too big, with an upstairs, and I am happy I hired her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will be looking for you on Trivia Crack! I wish I could afford a housekeeper, if only because I just don't want to clean, and I work two jobs. Of course working two jobs means I can't afford a housekeeper.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you not think your problems with hiring a housekeeper might be linked with your need to do everything? You should see it as giving someone else a job and giving yourself more time to spend with your family :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, maybe a little bit... But I do like you're (and others') reasoning.

      Delete
  8. #3 Totally agree.

    #7 It's only douchey when you openly complain about how they missed a spot. But really: in five years you'll be happier that you spent extra time with Sawyer as opposed to scrubbing the baseboards. So worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I could not get in to flight behavior. I ended up using its pages to make a wreath similar to the one you made a while back. It makes a beautiful wreath...

    ReplyDelete
  10. The fabric is breathable, which also participates timberland outlet uk in comfort. It is therefore an all-terrain shoe of choice, even if it is not especially comfortable on paved portions, cheap timberland boots so I do not recommend for or races natures trails offering long sections of road. Its light is very valuable for those seeking a bit of momentum, timberland outlet sale which often lack trail shoes.

    ReplyDelete

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS