Isn't It Ironic- Literary Blog Hop

So often surveys and questionnaires float around in the blog world, and I generally refuse to do them because they don't jive with the content of Bookishly Boisterous. Finally, The Blue Bookcase has changed that with their Literary Blog Hop. I'm new to their blog and this whole concept, but I have a feeling I may possibly be jumping on the bandwagon.

Literary Blog Hop

This week's question: What is one of your favorite literary devices? Why do you like it? Provide a definition with an awesome example.

I feel like I'm back in high school, or, for that matter, my own classroom.

One of my favorite literary devices is irony, because it amuses me to no end how misunderstood it is. Please, someone, tell Alanis that "Mr. Play-it-Safe who is afraid to fly" ending up as shark bait is not ironic. It's just shitty luck and a bad coincidence. Oh, and the "no cigarette sign on your smoking break?" Yeah, that just sucks. Stop smoking or memorize your company's designated smoking areas, dumbass.

I appreciate the technique for what it is, as well. Irony when used correctly can make texts wittier, deeper, and can assist an author in the development of a character. For example, in the novel To Kill a Mockingbird, most people believe poor Boo Radley is crazy and a danger to the town, but in the end he actually saves the kids from being hurt by Bob Ewell (he in fact does commit a murder in the process, but it is done in the spirit of protection, and the official statement is that Bob "fell on a knife.") Another example if from Fahrenheit 451- the "firemen" actually start fires, rather than putting them out.

There are actually three types of irony: situational, dramatic, and verbal (there are a few other subgroups that do pop up occasionally). I'd discuss each one, but that may be overkill. If you are curious, lets be friends (if we're not already). We can meet, eat cupcakes, and talk about irony.

I'm also a sucker for a Bildungsroman, as I've mentioned countless times before. Some places list it as a device, while others consider it a genre, so I'll save the ramblings on one of my favorite literary topics for another day. Basically, these are coming-of-age stories and track the struggles one faces during the maturation process (physically, emotionally, and morally). Some modern examples are Never Let Me Go, The Solitude of Prime Numbers, The Catcher in the Rye, Prep, and Fatelessness. I could go on, and on.

So, they're you go. I've taken yet another step to proving what a nerd I truly am. And remember, if you see Alanis talk to her about irony. Please.

6 comments:

  1. Hurray for irony. And well-chosen examples. Although I enjoy irony when I read it, I have to confess my brain stalled and I couldn't think of any ironic examples to use on a literary blog hop-- I could only think of unsuitable examples. So I chose bildungsroman as my device. And To Kill a Mockingbird as my example. (Is that ironic or a bad coincidence?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Irony is one of my favorite concepts to teach. I always use "A Modest Proposal," and I really like to read it aloud in class.

    Check out my post for this hop here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to be your friend and eat cupcakes with you at any time. I wish I were more literary but often I get scared away by the profoundly heavy tone of the literary world. Irony is a refreshing shower of lightness in that world and I thank you for reminding me of it.

    Here's my attempt to pick my favorite literary device. Also, I'd like to invite you to throw your name into the hat for a $25 Amazon gift certificate in Readerbuzz's July Giveaway!It's international!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes love the fireman in Fahrenheit & another good one is 1984 and the ministry of peace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hear hear! Isn't it ironic that Alanis writes a song about irony that isn't actually about irony at all? Don't cha think?

    Fave moment in irony: when Ethan Hawke has to define irony for Winona Ryder in Reality Bites. In fact, there are several good ironic moments in that film.

    Dramatic irony is perhaps my favorite form and made me quite the Shakespeare lover in school. But alas, situational irony pretty much rules my world.

    Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know, irony never struck me! It's quite a lovely device if very well used. I chose to talk about foreshadowing...it's a definite favourite!

    Btw, welcome to the Lit Blog Hop...am looking forward to other answers to coming questions.:)

    ReplyDelete

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS